5 Ways To Spring Clean Your Life Of Toxicity
- Delete everyone from your life who makes you feel horrible about yourself. Look, I know you may think this is hard to do, but the aunt who is constantly trying to bring you down about your weight, the friend who constantly passes back handed compliments, the boyfriend who plays mind games with you are all adding to bringing down your mental health and quality of life. Cut them out of your life. Stop taking their calls. Stand your ground and stick up for yourself. Surround yourself instead with the kind of people who make you better yourself, face your demons and give you the positivity you need to be the best version of yourself.
- Treat yourself to no internet days. The world is literally on fire right now. Everything feels like it is burning and we are processing human suffering everyday via social media that no human is supposed to process on this scale. So do yourself a favour, switch off your computer, switch off your phone and take a walk outside in the fresh air. Meet up with a friend for a coffee. Read a book. Just take a break from the constant barrage of information and breathe free.
- Eat one healthy meal everyday. This may sound insane because I’m saying this and anyone who knows me knows I used to love eating junk food, chocolates, burgers, sodas, I’ve been big on that stuff. But somewhere along the way I realised I wasn’t drinking enough water and that I felt so much better after a smoothie or a salad than I did after a burger. I’m not saying give up on everything unhealthy, but I am saying, to cut out toxicity, you need to be good to your body and filling it with nutrients at least once a day will make you feel better.
- Clean your room until it is absolutely immaculate, change the sheets and make your bed in full. I can’t even tell you how good this is when you feel bogged down with the world, to come home to a room with fresh sheets and freshly vacuumed and dusted with everything in it’s place. Being able to sit down and enjoy a hot drink in a fresh and sparkling room can do wonders for your mental health. A clean room is a room in which you don’t have to worry or stress yourself out. Go minimalist, get rid of all the clothes you don’t wear. Less stuff, less clutter, and a great place to meditate in.
- Set up strong boundaries. Make sure you leave no shades of grays in your relationships where you find yourself being pushed into doing things you do not want to do. Once you hit your twenties and your thirties, you control the way others perceive you and what they believe they can get away with. The best way to clean toxicity from your life? Setting up powerful boundaries and exercising your right to use the word ‘NO’.